Vallen’s Cost/Inventory Accountant handles accounting functions relating to the cost of inventory, defined as products, materials, and/or supplies on hand. You will determine appropriate cost and inventory accounting methods to achieve the company’s financial goals and objectives. You will be working cross functionally on variance analysis, root cause analysis, process improvement and, documentation of procedures. You will conduct and/or assist with physical inventory count audits as needed, and produce and analyze reports to ensure that transactions related to inventory are posted correctly. You will also record, investigate, and collaborate with Vallen leadership to resolve variances. Cost/Inventory Accountants will assist with special projects as assigned.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review preliminary financial reports to ensure the financial data for the month is accurate and make necessary re-classifications as needed.
- Prepare Purchase Price Variance (PPV) analysis and reporting – make journal entries if needed to accrue or re-class.
- Manage inventory reconciliations and ensure accuracy, timely completion, and proper investigation and resolution of variances.
- Perform cost drivers and root cause analysis.
- Analyze and report inventory turnover; slow-moving/obsolescence and ensure adequate inventory reserve.
- Assist internal and external auditors with quarterly/yearend audits.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw a valid conclusion and suggest a resolution.
- Monitor actual performance against the standard and analyze trends in cost variances and material usage and implement timely adjustments.
- Analyze, investigate, and make proper conclusions of unusual inventory activity or inconsistencies.
- Collaborate with other departmental personnel in reporting and reviewing various trends and key performance indicators.
- Continually improve all facets of cost accounting, inventory control, variance analysis, gross margin analysis, reporting, and process flow
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field of study coupled with at least 3+ years of experience in cost accounting and/or accounts payable. Certified Management Accountant preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the ability to put them into practice.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated analytical skills necessary for identifying and determining the root cause of inventory variances
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret, and report research findings in a timely and professional manner
- Strong working knowledge of MS Suite with emphasis on MS-Excel (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookups, etc.)
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and with little supervision
- Experience working in a Distribution or Manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of cost accounting theory and methodology.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present information to cross-functional team leaders, team members, and top management.
- Ability to prepare detailed reports, graphs, and analytically problem solve.
- Very high level of accuracy and attention to detail coupled with excellent follow-through capabilities
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Demonstrated strong planning, organizational, and execution skills
- Demonstrated ability to set goals and achieve deadlines
- Technical aptitude to build queries and extract pertinent data from various programs (preferred, not required)
Work Environment (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.):
- Long periods of time working on a computer and performing key-boarding activities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee may be required to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Vallen is an industry leader in delivering flexible supply chain solutions and services along with a comprehensive range of maintenance, repair, operating, production, safety and electrical products to meet the growing supply needs of customers in facilities across North America and around the world. Vallen is headquartered in Belmont, NC and is a subsidiary of Sonepar USA, part of the global Sonepar family.
Stay up to date with Vallen, follow us on LinkedIn and Facebook,
What are the Benefits?
401K Plan, Health Insurance (medical, dental, and vision), Paid Vacation, Paid Sick, Paid Personal, Paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts (Health and Dependent Care), Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Discounts and a definitive career path.